While there is little literature available detailing how digital technologies can be leveraged across food-system nutrition interventions to improve nutritional outcomes, it is evident that its integration is increasing worldwide as it can improve effectiveness and efficiency across the entire fortification supply chain.
- Review previous and ongoing use of digital technologies focusing on food-system interventions for food fortification and identify potential areas for future integration of digital technologies in these interventions for improved nutrition outcomes.
- Ascertain the purpose of and lessons from using digital technologies in other systems/sectors - including health, agriculture, social protection, etc. - and determine how these lessons may be applied to food-system interventions for food fortification for improved nutrition outcomes.
- Identify and document the synergies and disconnects along the food value chain between food system interventions focusing on food for improved nutrition outcomes.
- Use of big data and new technological innovations to support decision-making and sustainability of food-system interventions for food fortification to improve nutrition outcomes.
- Ascertain an ethics-driven approach to food-system nutrition interventions for food fortification, incorporating key legislation, principles, and practices, to support appropriate data and information collection, use, management, governance, and security.
- Review evidence on the ability of digital technologies to influence consumers’ understanding and perspectives on the quality of foods, their nutritional value, and health impacts, and suggest ways to shape consumers’ food behaviors to lead to improved nutrition outcomes.